Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Year of the Pigs

Jill posted her next Year of the Pigs question. The question is: What part of quilting makes you cry and put your project away? ok. I paraphrased a little.

I HATE basting my quilts! Let me say that again. I hate basting so SO much! I hand baste with thread so it seems to take me f-o-r-e-v-e-r! I am sure it takes longer because of all my whining and crying and putting it off. I have tried to pay Kelsey to baste a quilt of mine...she wouldnt!





Some of the things I will do to put off basting are :

1. cry

2. get on the computer

3. stare into space

4. pluck my eyebrows

5. hide in the bathroom

6. nap

7. get on the computer

8. text my sister and make her feel sorry for me.

9. text Kelsey and make her feel sorry for me.

10. stare into space some more

11. get on the computer

12. cry some more


I have tried telling myself how glad I will be to start the quilting part and that kinda works. What finally works is that I set my timer usually 1 hour but longer if its a large quilt and I tell myself to baste for that long and then I'm done...no matter what. I have to stop when that timer goes off. Now, I want my quilt basted well so I rush to make sure that I get done before the timer goes off.



I still hate every minute of basting...but I truly love to hand-quilt so I will keep basting until I can find someone else to do it for me!

10 comments:

Monica said...

I hate binding quilts. It's such a boring task.

For your basting dilemma I would suggest checking out Sharon Schamber's method of doing it. I think you might like it. I believe you can find her how to video on youtube or her website.

Crafty Maine Mom said...

I was at my loacal Quilt shop the other day and someone was in there with 5 quilts tops that she had been saving.

She rented the Long arm just to baste all of the tops. She loaded the quilt top batting and backing, set the stitch length and just did a quick pass, moved the quilt forward, quick pass.

She basted all 5 in 2 hours.

Keep Stitchin' said...

I agree with Crafty Maine Mom. Also, some machine quilters will baste your quilt for you for a fee. If you hate it that much, it might be worth it to you.

I'm not a big fan of basting, but I have to do it often because I machine quilt for others.

I honestly love almost all aspects of quilting, cutting and everything. I think I dislike ironing yardages after they've been washed. I try to get them out of the dryer on time and not overcrowd, but sometimes they still get really wrinkled.

Kate said...

Since I've been too scared to try quilting on my own, I completely bypass that step by sending my quilts out for quilting. If it will help you to get through the basteing by telling yourself you are not a wimp like Kate, please feel free.

Anonymous said...

I machine-quilt and baste with pins, but I dislike it as much as you do.

Val said...

This post made me think of my Granny. I remember how she loved doing a quilt but by the end of the binding she would be ready to throw that quilt to the side! She was so funny. She would say that she never wanted to see that quilt again! But then the next day would come and she waw ready to start another quilt.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Great post and I adore your list of what you do to avoid basting! Lol

Another suggestion I have is take your quilt to a shop and use their tables to set up your quilt and baste it. Then reward yourself with some fabric! :) A lot of shops around here will let you use their tables and class room area if they aren't having a class and they shouldn't charge for that either. Good luck!!!

Jennifer said...

That's a great list! I agree about hating basting, so I bought a longarm so I wouldn't have to, but I've never had a passion for hand quilting like you do! I think your approach of setting a timer is a great one. Good luck getting those cuties in the pictures basted!

Kristie said...

LOL! You are just too funny! I hate basting them too! I think the next top that I decide to handquilt that I will load it on the frame and baste it by machine. I was told that doing it that way was very fast and easy. I have just machine quilted quilts before just to keep from having to baste them to do the handquilting!
Kristie

Julianne said...

great post love the idea of paying someone else to do it..